Tuesday, July 8, 2008

How I long to go back to Sri Lanka!

Once Lord Buddha said, the wind coming from his birth place is comforting and smoothing to his soul. King David expressed his inner longings to drink water from the well near his birthplace of the Bethlehem gate: "David said longingly, "O that someone would give me water to drink from the well of Bethlehem that is by the gate!" (2 Sam 23:15).

That inspired the heroism of three men, who broke the fearsome stronghold defenses of the Philistines, just to fulfill the longings of their friend and leader:

"Then the three warriors broke through the camp of the Philistines, drew water from the well of Bethlehem that was by the gate, and brought it to David. But he would not drink of it; he poured it out to the LORD, 17 for he said, "The LORD forbid that I should do this. Can I drink the blood of the men who went at the risk of their lives?" Therefore he would not drink it. The three warriors did these things" (2 Samuel 23:16-17).

This picture remind me of Sri Lanka and how I long to go back home. Once I wrote to a friend these words:

"I dream about Sri Lanka: In my dreams, I walk across paddy fields, jump and enjoy the water in the streams, I smell the wind that comes brushing through the fields, which have paddy just ripen for harvest. I feel walking on the green grass and gaze into the magnificent beauty of a lake [Wava] with abundance of dancing lotus flowers, glittering with sunrays and cool and refreshing breeze coming across the water's edge. I miss the sunshine falling across the trees, while the cool air touches gently on the face, blowing away the hair. I miss the blue and white seacoast and sunset at the horizon, just about to leave the light and let the night to take its turn. So you see, I am really home sick! I enjoy all these small things, while I was in Sri Lanka (Do you remember in my classes, how often I have told you all to enjoy these little things!). I traveled to and fro to different places like Anuradhapra, Mathara, Trinco etc., etc., Now, I am like in a prison, rather, a house arrest. But you see, I realize God has his own purposes for us. God has his prerogatives (a right or privilege exclusive to God, to do what ever he wants!). He has exclusive right to do what ever with our lives. Some times his purposes contradict with what is happening in our lives [we called reality]. Yet God is in control. Our God is a good God, loving Father, Saviour of our souls, close friend in need and he is indeed our dear Lord. This is what I have learned in past months."

5 comments:

  1. Rick Smith wrote July 9, 2008:

    Hey man I commend you for your faithfulness to God's calling on your life!

    It's funny how sometimes "we" (people from the U.S.) think it is really hard to do what we do, but I am often humbled by the people the Lord allows me to meet and He shows me, through them, what real sacrifice is all about!

    "Don't grow weary in doing good..."

    You said it best "...God is in control..." He is indeed!

    Love you brother!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probo send an email on Sunday, July 12, 2008:

    My Dearest Ravin,

    Thanks for the blog invite. I read what you have written. So good to hear your "voice".

    I met your dear parents last Wednesday. They had come to collect your parcel from Vinoth G. They both look very well and we chatted for quite a while.

    I am so excited for you! I remember well the longing to come back home to Sri Lanka. What a blessed home country we have! What a blessing to be part of Christ's buildlng among our people!

    Do you receive our family newsletter? Would you like to?

    Vinoth Ramachandra's latest book has just been published. It's called 'Subverting Global Myths'. Its an amazing read!!

    Take care, my brother.

    Much love,

    Prabo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy MihindukulasuriyaJuly 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM

    Thank you, Ravin, for being in touch in the midst of a full schedule. I've been to CTS a few times to pick up Prabo and the halls are a little dull without your infectious smile and ready conversation. Enjoy your studies to the full--it is a luxury to sit and "be" with God and His Word!

    The boys are well, they have already grown so much! Jesse turned one on June 21st and has been walking for nearly 2 months now. Both bring us such joy, as well as keeping us busy!

    I know what the "missing" is like. After 6 years in Sri Lanka, my second home, I still miss Canada. I imagine that heaven will have the best of all these worlds...

    Do take care of yourself, keep in touch when you can.

    Lots of love,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ravin,

    Keep up the good work you have started. I appreciate the hard work you put to come up with this excellent blog. I look forward to learning more about your country. Thank you for the insightful information you have provided. We are praying for those persecuted Christian in your country to be faithful till the end!

    May God bless!

    Your buddy,
    Cope

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ravin, your blog is so beautiful!
    It is so interesting. It makes me want to go to Sri Lanka.

    ReplyDelete