Saturday, August 30, 2008

What do we learn from Disappointments?

Another disappointment. I long waited to hear from the Seminary (DTS) Library for an interview for my application. Still I did not hear from them. It is the way they quietly say you have not selected (now I know the method thanks to several similar experiences).
The only possible reason I could guess is that I could not commit to work for two years. I am hoping to end my DTS academic life in fall 2009.

I am a man of books; I love books and to work around them. Most of all, I wanted to get trained in DTS library, so that it would be benefitted to the majority country like Sri Lanka, in my work field of theological education. Now I am used to these kinds of disappointments. It always reminded me that I am just here for temporary time. My real ministry is back home.

This is my eighth moth out of employment (I've got several job opportunities off campus, unfortunately I can't consider them because of my visa status).

New students apartment costs a lot. Hence, I have very little left as pocket money for food and other needs. I really live in US as I were living in back Sri Lanka: 'hand to mouth lifestyle!' Ironic isn't it? I have survived eight moths by the grace of God; certainly, I can do another 17 months. Then, yes only then, I am free to fly back home. Oh... How I long for that day!

This week I learned that one of my church plants has suffered persecution and had to stop gathering as a community. The worker, who suffered was my best friend. He had to stop his ministry again due to the threats (Please remember him and his family in your prayers).

All these disappointments lead me back to the reflection of my question. My answer to the question, "What do we learn from our disappointments?" is "we learn to trust God more!" We learn to put trust daringly in Him and in Him only.

Just meditate on these words...

"I’ve got nothing left to hide -My armor’s on the ground
This battle’s left me dry - My strength has broken down

You pull me to Your side
I’m suddenly surrounded by Your hand
Perfectly astounded I can stand
Your power is what’s keeping me together

Your strength is all that’s keeping me alive
Your fortress is the only hope I have to survive"[1]


[1] "Fortress" (Orthodoxy) written by Eddie Kirkland © 2007 Eddie Kirkland Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment